Sunday, October 25, 2020

Avil / chiwda/ flaked rice Barfi

 Today being Saraswathi Pooja day, when we pray to Goddess Saraswathi, by keeping our books in front of HER, asking the Goddess to grant us good brain to study well and also retain what we study.

On this auspicious day, we prepare some sweet to offer to the Goddess along with chundal. I wanted to make something different from the routine, as normally I used to make chakarai / sweet pongal  or kesari or payasam. I thought let me try making avil barfi, it is soft barfi. It can be made quite fast without much effort.Happy Dassera to all of you. May good win over evil soon.

INGREDIENTS

avil / chiwda  1 cup

milk  1/2 cup

desiccated coconut 1/4 cup

roasted dal / pottukadalai pdr.  1/4 cup

sugar 1/2 cup + or to taste

cardamom pdr./ essence

nuts as desired

ghee 2 tbsp

turmeric pdr 1/4 tsp or kesari pdr or saffron soaked little if you want light yellow colour

METHOD

if you're using thin variety of avil, wash it well and keep on the colander/ strainer. I used the thick variety of avil, so washed it a couple of times, then sprinkled little water for it to become soft.

in 1 tbsp ghee, roast nuts, add softened avil, fry it well on low flame. 

as you keep frying, you'll notice that the avil can be pressed so it becomes a soft mass

added turmeric, as it is pandemic time, turmeric as anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory properties and many more. Hence, I prefer to use it and secondly, I had misplaced my kesari pdr box.

After adding turmeric, I continued to fry for almost 2 minutes, then added milk, sugar, desiccated coconut, dal pdr. and continued stirring till became a thick mass and left the sides of the pan. I cooked on medium flame only.

I spread it on a greased plate and allowed it to set well. Then I could cut into squares. You may cut in whatever shape you like.

https://gscrochetdesigns.blogspot.com. one can see my crochet creations  

https://cancersupportindia.blogspot.com. feel free to view for easy, simple and health tips  
https://kneereplacement-stickclub.blogspot.com. for info on knee replacement


No comments:

Post a Comment