Saturday, November 6, 2021

Sprouts-potato vada/ cutlet


 I had some sprouts which I had boiled and seasoned for my dear husband. But, he didn't like the taste of the sprouts, as he has very sharp tongue, also doesn't easily accept anything different. Since last 2 weeks, it is raining here, every afternoon like equatorial climate. Today, the rain started earlier than usual, and as our afternoon tea time was getting closer and he wanted to see the T20 world cup cricket match. I said that I'll make for you a nice hot snacks, as today our lunch was too simple, not with the usual veges and a gravy dish. As, we both love to eat more veges and less of rice, we're hungry.

I had boiled potatoes in the fridge. I told him give me 10 minutes, I'll give you hot vada with your mug of coffee. I took the sprouts, mashed the potatoes, add salt, chili powder to taste, added little rice flour and besan to bind, heated oil and fried nice crispy hot vada, which the westerners call cutlet !

Well, for the recipe, again like all my recipes, no hard and fast rule, with whatever you've , you can add  or subtract as per your taste.

INGREDIENTS

sprouts 1 small cup ( in case you don't have it, got some left-over chundal, i.e., boiled chana, or kidney beans, or smaller white beans, you can try with what you've)

boiled and mashed potatoes 4 medium size ( again depending on the number of people increase the number or decrease)

salt and chili pdr to taste OR you can add finely chopped green chilies too.

hing little

besan 2 tbsp roughly

rice flour 2 1/2 tbsp roughly, as I never measure what I put

what is important is you'ld be able to get a dough, not sticky and which is like thick mix of cutlet, I didn't add any water at all, just kneaded and mixed all well.

Heat oil, once hot, I flattened them like thin vada, i.e. round shape and fried till crisp on both sides, drained and served hot with coffee. We didn't need any chutney or ketchup, as it tasted good plain.

It also didn't absorb oil, like vada or cutlet, as I'm not able to eat oily foods, but did eat 3 of them hot along with my cup of hot tea ! I really relished them.

NOTE -  You may add onion if you prefer, first I thought of adding, then was lazy to chop them, as I thought of making another day onion pakora if the weather is going to continue like this, as we stopped buying namkeens since the pandemic started, have biscuits, chundal, boiled corn or sweet buns if we can buy them, as both don't like the oily snacks now.

A TIP- I always keep boiled potatoes with the skin in the fridge while we're in Delhi, as I was cooking all our meals. Now staying in the gated community, I do only some snacks and veges at times, not full meals for the day. The boiled potatoes come handy if you want to make quickly poha, or any vege or for cutlets suddenly, there you don't waste time boiling them.Potatoes last at least a week, if not peeled, kept with their skin without any water.

 

https://gscrochetdesigns.blogspot.com. one can see my crochet creations  

https://cancersupportindia.blogspot.com. feel free to view for easy, simple and health tips  
https://kneereplacement-stickclub.blogspot.com. for info on knee replacement

 

No comments:

Post a Comment