Thursday, April 23, 2020

Healthy Dates-Nuts-Fruit Roll Baked

I love to try different recipes, I see the cookery show, but then change according to what I've to make it healthier. In this recipe too, in the original, she had used all types of nuts and dates. Here, I've used only cashews and almonds, dates and papaya. I never like to waste food. When I cut the papaya, it seemed ripe from outside, but wasn't fully ripe, which I realised only after cutting. So, kept it in the fridge to change it into something else. When I saw this recipe yesterday, got the idea of using the papaya, as then hubby will not know it, as there are dates and nuts to overpower it.



I made this for dessert now. It came out tasty, but the problem is with the bread that we get here doesn't like to be rolled. Even when I made bread pudding the other day, it didn't taste like the one made with  Britannia or Modern bread. 

Ingredients
Cashews and almond chopped about 1/2 cup
Dates chopped  3/4 cup
Papaya cooked 3/4 cup approximate
Sugar  1tbsp
Water  l/2 cup
Ghee 4-5 tsp

Method

Since the papaya wasn't fully ripe,  I didn't want to waste it, so I cooked it with little water and sugar till it was soft to mash it and the water dried.
In 2 tsp ghee, I roasted the nuts, added the chopped nuts and papaya keep stirring till it dries and comes together and leaves the sides of the pan.
Let it cool, roll the bread with a rolling pin, roll the cooled stuffing in one corner, roll it tight. If need be seal the edges with slurry.
Heat oven to 180deg.  C,  grease the baking tray, place the rolls brush with  ghee bake for 10-15 minutes till brown.  OR
You may grill in microwave, that is what I did for 6-7 minutes. It depends on the power.


NOTES-
1) you can add walnut, pista also, but as due to pandemic, haven't shopped for more than a month, made do with what I had, as yesterday, while I was describing this recipe to our daughter, hubby heard and said, "Oh, you're going to make it for me tomorrow". So tried it.
2) I used papaya, it isn't compulsory. Since I had cut papaya that wasn't too ripe to eat, cooked it with just enough water and little sugar, so it will be soft to mash. Instead of papaya, you double the quantity of dates.
3) You'll need slurry, if the bread doesn't get sealed well, also I feel to bake, you don't need slurry, as the edge won't open, even it does, it isn't like deep frying, where the stuffing will come out. I didn't use it, though in the original she did use. I've taken part of the recipe, then changed adding papaya, less nuts, so surely you can make do with what you've now.

https://gscrochetdesigns.blogspot.com. one can see my crochet creations  

https://cancersupportindia.blogspot.com. feel free to view for easy, simple and health tips  
https://kneereplacement-stickclub.blogspot.com. for info on knee replacement






No comments:

Post a Comment